Going Solar In Alberta
How Can I Maximize Returns On My System?
Paragon Energy has partnered with Spot Power to bring our customers better returns on their systems. Signing up to the Solar Club with Paragon Energy has many benefits
The Province of Alberta is aiming to have 30% renewable energy by 2030. The Solar Club will offset 30% of the electricity you import from the grid free.
Exclusive rates ONLY for solar customers. High export rates for the summer, help you see faster returns from your system. Switch to a lower winter rate, with only 10 days notice, by phone or online.
Earn 5% cash back annually on all energy imported from the grid.
How Do I Go Solar in Alberta?
Alberta benefits from a huge amount of sunlight, making it one of the best provinces in Canada to stick it where the sun DOES shine. Solar Energy systems can now we installed as a DIY or by a Solar Installer, such as Paragon Energy, as long as a licensed electrician is doing the work.
All solar applications require the approval of ATCO, Fortis, and your REA (if applicable)
Eligibility for Micro Generation in Alberta
This program is available for customers with electricity service and properties located in Alberta that meet the following requirements:
Must be a renewable energy source
Intended to meet the needs of the energy consumption of the home, business or farm
Less than 5 megawatts
Must be installed on a site owned by the customer
Meet municipal requirements and holds applicable permitting
Installed by a certified electrical contractor
Obtained approval from electric energy retailer and wire owners
Pass electrical inspection
When you choose Paragon as your installer we take care of all the approvals and required permitting, allowing you to relax.
Currently there is no incentive from the Alberta Government, for homes, farms or businesses. Certain municipalities may have their own programs, check with yours or request a quote to find out if there are any in your area. You will be compensated for the energy you are sending back to the grid at the same rate you are purchasing it.
Funding for Municipalities wanting to go solar may still be available pending approval from the Alberta Government. For more information on how to apply click here. Find out more below.
The Solar for Schools Program is also open to Alberta schools wanting to go solar, pending approval from the Alberta Government. For more information on how to apply click here.
Give us a call if you have any questions.
Alberta Municipal Solar Program
The Alberta Municipal Solar Program (AMSP) provides financial rebates to Alberta municipalities who install solar photovoltaics (PV) on municipal facilities or land and complete public engagement for the project.
Who can participate in the AMSP?
The following organizations are eligible to participate in the AMSP:
• Municipalities: all designated municipalities within the Province of Alberta that meet the definition of "municipality" as per Section 1(s) of the Municipal Government Act
• Community-related organizations: non-profit community-related organizations (CROs) are eligible to participate if the project is located on municipally owned facilities or municipally owned land. While CROs are eligible to participate, the municipality must be the signatory to the funding agreement and all reimbursements made under the program will be directed to the municipality.
What types of projects can receive funding through the AMSP?
• Solar PV systems that are greater than or equal to 2 kW and less than or equal to 1 MW in installation capacity
• All projects must be compliant with Alberta’s Micro-generation Regulation 27/2008
• All projects must be completed and energized after February 5, 2016
• Projects located on facilities or land owned by the private sector, schools, universities, hospitals, and the provincial or federal governments
• Projects located on temporary structures
• Off-grid solar PV and solar thermal projects
• Projects that are supported financially by other Government of Alberta climate change initiatives
How much funding is available?
The MCCAC will pay a rebate per watt of total installed capacity ($/W), as per the table below. The rate tier is determined by the total installed capacity of a project submitted through a single AMSP Application. Total funding provided by the MCCAC will not exceed 20% of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $300,000 per project application. The rebate will be issued after the MCCAC has verified that the project is complete.
10 kilowatts to <150 kilowatts
150 kilowatts to 1 Megawatt
Note: Funding is available on a first come, first served basis. Municipalities are eligible to submit multiple applications.
Where do I find additional information?
Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.
City of Edmonton Rebate
Who can participate?
All homeowners within the City of Edmonton, in single or multi family residential homes.
How much funding is available?
The City of Edmonton will pay $0.40/watt based on the total system capacity, to a maximum of $6,500. When combined with the Energy Efficiency Alberta rebate that is saving up o 50% of the eligible system costs. Funds are available on a first come first serve basis.
The PV system must be:
Grid connected and compliant with the Government of Alberta's micro generation regualtion
Be a new system, designed and installed by a qualified solar retailer
Carrying minimum 10 years warranty on the system
Solar Energy System must have at least 70% output
Systems must be installed and activated within a 6 month time frame
For more information
Phone: (587) 287 1903